As the world has been going soccer or football crazy during this edition of the World Cup, I began to wonder to myself why soccer players are the hottest athletes. On each team there seems to be a man who would catch any woman's eye. That is not the case in hockey, football, basketball, or baseball. Whatever the reason there has been plenty of eye candy to look at. Even if you are not a fan of the sport there is something to look at. Here is my list in no particular order of the hottest soccer players participating in this tournament:
1) Diego Forlan – Uruguay: Forlan, with his flowing blonde locks, ice blue eyes and rock hard abs, has had his coming out party at the 2010 World Cup. Having played for high profile teams in his professional career like Manchester United and Atletico Madrid he has been thought of as a decent striker, but nothing like his run at the World Cup. As the heart and soul of the surprise fourth placed Uruguayan team his brilliant free kicks, five goals and long range strikes have won him the respect he so richly deserves.
2) Wesley Sneijder – Netherlands: Sneijder at the age of 26 has demonstrated himself to be the consummate leader. This midfield general has scored important goals (5) and pushed his team forward even when they were missing Arjen Robben. His pinpoint passes, tireless effort and stunning free kicks have led his team into the finals. At only 5'7" the man is not exactly statuesque, but his close shorn hair and little boy looks have won him many a look of approval from female fans.
3) Cristiano Ronaldo – Portugal: The captain of his team and one of the best known footballers in the world, Ronaldo did not do much in the World Cup, but is still thought of as one of the best players in the world after winning the FA Cup, Champions League and FIFA World Player of the Year in 2008. Following along in the footsteps of former Manchester United player David Beckham, the very handsome and fit Ronaldo is followed around everywhere by the paparazzi and is the latest Armani underwear model.
4) Iker Casillas – Spain: The only goaltender on the list is not only easy on the eyes but is thought of as the man to take over from Italy's Buffon as the best keeper on the planet. Tall, dark and handsome are the attributes that get him on this list.
5) Nicklas Bendtner – Denmark: Denmark did not go past the round robin portion of the tournament but this hottie did make his mark. At only 22 year of age, his stature (6'4") and rebellious nature make him a favourite with the ladies.
6) Carlos Bocanegra – USA: This 31-year-old veteran is not only handsome and fit but is the ultimate team player. He has been known to play center back, left back and even in the midfield. His dark Latino looks have won him a spot on many soccer hotties lists.
7) Lukas Podolski – Germany: The 25-year-old Polish born striker had a strong World Cup. A fit young man maybe what is most attractive about him is that he and his long time girlfriend have recently had a child, so the young man is now a father.
8) Fabio Cannavaro – Italy: The captain of the defending champions Italy left the World Cup competition earlier than most would have believed with his Italian side going out before the knock-out rounds. Dejected and embarrassed Cannavaro retired from the Italian side right after the tournament. This is not surprising no matter the result for Italy as the man is 36-years-old. Despite his advanced (in terms of professional sport) age the man has remained incredibly fit and is one of the few players who have been featured on the cover of the European version of Cosmopolitan.
9) Tim Cahill – Australia: Cahill, who plays his professional soccer for English side Everton, is probably the most famous footballer out of Asia right now. He was Everton's nomination for the Ballon D'Or (Best European Player). In the tournament he set an Australian record by scoring 3 goals despite the fact that he missed a game due to suspension. His exotic looks can be attributed to his Irish father and Samoan mother.
10) Yoann Gourcuff – France: He played for the disgraced French side in the World Cup. Amid in-fighting, a player being sent home for dissent and general turmoil, France bowed out miserably after the round robin portion. A fan favourite this guy has plenty of the female variety due to his movie star looks and beautiful hazel eyes.