True North’s latest offering hits the bullseye. The creation of “A Sweet Relief Tribute to Joey Spampinato” is all about friends helping out friends, and the positive energy that ensues. After Joey Spampinato’s (NRBQ Founding
Member) was diagnosed with cancer his wife (Kami Lyle) had the idea to record an album of Joey’s compositions. Kami reached out to Joey’s musician friends and former collaborators in order to get financial support for the 72 year old’s medical expenses.
You can feel the upbeat vibrations that reside between the bars on this 14 track treasure. Starting out strong, with a rockin and rollicking “You Can’t Hide” performed by Al Anderson (The Wildweeds). The second track features the favorite sons from East LA…Los Lobos…wow, they really rip it up here, an accordion never sounded sweeter. “That I Get Back Home” is performed by Deer Tick hailing from Providence, Rhode Island. This chug a lug tune is definitely an FM radio contender (does that mean anything nowadays?). “Like A Locomotive” features a bevy of All Stars including: Ben
Harper with Keith Richards, Charlie Musselwhite, Benmont Tench, Don Was, & Don Heffington. it’s a joy to hear these guys playing together. She & Him featuring Zooey Deschanel (vocals, piano, ukulele) and M. Ward offer up “How Can I Make You Love Me” resulting in a soft lilting tune, with a tinge of breezy Samba. The rest of the CD features the following awesome musicians: The Minus 5, Steve Forbert, Buddy Miller & Jim Lauderdale, Bonnie Raitt, Robbie Fulks, Penn And Teller, The Nils & Chris Spedding.
Collaborations are not as common as they once were. This new release is among my favorites of this year, so enjoyable to listen to and so diverse, there is something here for everyone. I can even hear the smiles on the faces of the contributing artists.
- Al Anderson – You Can’t Hide
- Los Lobos – Every Boy, Every Girl
- Deer Tick – That I Get Back Home
- Ben Harper with Keith Richards, Charlie Musselwhite, Benmont Tench, Don
Was, & Don Heffington – Like A Locomotive
- Peter Case – Don’t Knock At My Door
- She & Him – How Can I Make You Love Me
- The Minus 5 – Don’t She Look Good
- Steve Forbert – Beverly
- Buddy Miller & Jim Lauderdale – How Will I Know
- Bonnie Raitt & NRBQ – Green Lights
- Robbie Fulks – Chores
- Penn And Teller – Plenty of Something
- The Nils & Chris Spedding – That’s Alright
- Kami Lyle with Joey – First Crush