"Lost," the new television show is considered by many to be the new surprise hit of the 2004 – 2005 season. I have to admit that I enjoyed watching all of the 24 episodes presented on 7 discs.. A plane runs into trouble and crashes on a tropical island, leaving the passengers to fend for themselves. Filmed on beautiful Oahu, Hawaii's north shore. Among the forty-eight survivors are a range of fascinating individuals.
The 14 main castaways include: Jack (Matthew Fox), a heroic doctor, Kate (Evangeline Lilly), a shy girl who develops a crush on Jack, Charlie (Dominic Monaghan), a British rocker with a drug problem, Hurley (Jorge Garcia), a large man with a large heart, Jin (Daniel Dae Kim) and his wife Sun (Yujin Kim), a Korean couple who initially isolate themselves from the rest of the group, Claire (Emilie de Ravin), a pregnant Australian woman without a father for her unborn baby, Sawyer (Josh Holloway), a low-life who hoards the supplies from the wrecked plane so that he can barter them with the people who need them, Michael (Harold Perrineau) and his son Walt (Malcolm David Kelley), who have just been reunited after Walt's mother died, Boone (Ian Somerhalder) and his sister Shannon (Maggie Grace), who constantly bicker, Sayid (Naveen Andrews), an Iraqi who fought against the US in the Gulf War and is attacked due to racism, and finally Locke (Terry O'Quinn), a mysterious man who doesn't seem to mind being stuck on the island. Of course, those are the characters that we think we meet in the pilot episodes. The people that they truly are become revealed over the course of the season.
Recap of each episode:
1. Pilot (Part 1) – Everyone tries to recover from the day's event, 3 of the survivors find the fuselage.
2. Pilot (Part 2) – Survivors continue to recover, Sawyer shoots a polar bear and a mysterious French woman is heard through the receiver.
3. Tabula Rasa – Jack and Hurley discover Kate's secret, while the Marshal's life is on the line.
4. Walkabout – Kate, Michael, and Locke go into the jungle to hunt for food, while Jack has a disturbing plan for the dead bodies.
5. White Rabbit – Jack, while struggling to be the hero and the doctor, is turning delirious from lack of sleep.
6. House of the Rising Sun – Jin brutally beats Michael, Sun has a secret, and survivors argue where the camp should be (in the caves, or on the beach).
7. The Moth – While dealing with withdrawal from drugs, Charlie tries to save Jack from a cave-in, and 5 survivors try to find the source of the French lady's transmission.
8. Confidence Man – Sawyer's secret is discovered by Kate
9. Solitary – Sayid, alone, finds the source of the French lady's transmission, while Hurley has a funny way to make the island more civilized.
10. Raised by Another – Claire's thinking that her nightmares are coming true, threatening herself and her unborn child.
11. All the Best Cowboys Have Daddy Issues – Locke discovers another island mystery.
12. Whatever the Case May Be – Jack, Kate, and Sawyer fight over the possession of a metal briefcase, a rising tide is a threat to survivors on the beach, and Sayid asks Shannon to translate notes from the French lady.
13. Hearts and Minds – Locke teaches Boone a lesson, Hurley pays a debt to Jin, and Kate is confused by Sun's mysterious behavior.
14. Special, Homecoming – Locke and Michael search for missing Walt, while Charlie is tempted to read Claire's diary.. Claire turns up with amnesia, and Jack and Locke plan to capture Ethan.
16. Outlaws In Translation – Sawyer vows to kill a boar that he says is harassing him on purpose, and Sayid and Hurley are worried that Charlie is losing it.
17. Jin is accused of burning down the raft that the survivors have been building, and Boone gives a warning about Shannon to Sayid.
18. Numbers – Jack, Sayid, and Charlie are set to go follow Hurley, who intends on talking to the French lady, while Locke asks Claire to build a mysterious item.
19. Dues Ex Machine – Locke suffers injuries while attempting to open the hatch with Boone, and Sawyer helps Jack with his headaches.
20. Do No Harm – 3 castaways are at Claire's side while she goes into labor, and Jack helps wounded Boone.
21. The Greater Good – Charlie and Claire attempt to calm her newborn.
22. Born to Run – Kate's secret is revealed, Michael becomes ill and Walt gives Locke a warning.
23. Exodus (Part 1) – The survivors get ready to sail the raft and the French lady appears with a warning from "the others".
24. Exodus (Part 2) – The raft members find something (or someone) at sea, Sayid and Charlie go out to find Claire's missing baby and 5 survivors attempt to blow the hatch open.
Watch season II, on ABC Wednesday nights….and enjoy
Special DVD Features include:
• Commentary by executive producers J.J. Abrams, Damon Lindelof, and Bryan Burk on the pilot
• Commentary by executive producer Jack Bender, co-executive producer David Fury, and actor Terry O'Quinn on Walkabout
• Commentary by executive producers Damon Lindelof and Bryan Burk and actor Dominic Monaghan on The Moth
• Commentary by executive producer Carlton Cuse, supervising producer Javier Grillo-Marxuach, and actors Maggie Grace and Ian Sommerhalder on Hearts and Minds
• The Genesis of Lost
• Designing a Disaster
• Before They Were Lost: personal stories and audition tapes
• Welcome to Oahu: The Making of the Pilot
• The Art of Matthew Fox
• Lost: On Location
• On Set with Jimmy Kimmel
• Backstage with Driveshaft
• The Lost Flashbacks: Claire at the Airport, Sayid at the Airport
• 13 deleted scenes
• Bloopers from the set
• Salute to Lost at the Museum of Television and Radio's 22nd Annual Paley Festival