This past weekend’s 65th annual Golden Globe Awards in Beverly Hills was the kickoff to the awards season. Let’s not kid ourselves here, almost as important as who wins the awards is how everyone looked. Serious stock is put into how these stars look and I’m sure they get stressed out about it. They are either raved about or mocked the morning afterwards. Oh, the fun of being famous!
But seriously, this year was fairly even keeled (ok, except for Tilda Swinton and Helena Bonham Carter) and it felt like an actual black-tie affair with black being a trend on the red carpet not only for the men but the ladies as well. Pink, red and green (is it still Christmas?) were also popular colours. What caught my eye was that the biggest accessory seemed to be baby bumps (plenty of pregnant stars like Natalie Portman and Jane Krakowski) and statement shoes were big – even if they were hidden under floor length gowns.
Here is my Top 10 list of best dressed at the 2011 Golden Globes (in no particular order):
1) Emma Stone: Sleek and stunning her backless Calvin Klein. Figure flattering. Short sleeves and high neckline are perfect for her small frame. The melon colour of the gown really brought out the colour of her hair, which is back to blonde (her natural colour). Bold colour choice. Topped things off with a silver clutch and simple accessories including a Van Cleef and Arpels ring.
2) Angelina Jolie: Maybe the style was bit old for her but somehow whatever she wears looks great. Only she could be her age (35) and wear a reserved dress like this without looking like the mother of the bride. It was a very trendy emerald green Atelier Versace long sleeve number. I am always happy when she is not wearing black. Vintage feel. Old Hollywood personified. Sparkly and glam. Spices things up with the draped backless feature. Interesting mini Lady Gaga shoulders.
3) Claire Danes: Pretty in pink. Eye catching colour. A halter neck gown by Calvin Klein Collection. Simple, flowing silhouette. Fit her like a glove. Backless. Beautiful but simple accessories (Fred Leighton earrings and a cuff). Casual up do.
4) Olivia Wilde: Probably the best gown of the evening. A shimmering with gold sequins, full-skirted chocolate Marchesa. You don’t often think of chocolate as an inspired colour but this time it was. Her hair was down and casual. What was cool about that is that it looked real and not like extensions. Loved that she let her dress take center stage. Even her shoes, which were largely hidden, were a gold sparkly sensation (Christian Louboutin Bridget Back ankle booties). One of the first people down the red carpet and few lived up to the high bar she set.
5) Eva Langoria: A black Zac Posen with a generous fish tail style train. She is so petite but somehow still manages to look like a bombshell. Figure hugging with cap sleeves. A sexy neckline and a brooch accessorized belt. Swept up do and simple jewelry. Classic elegance. Then there was the cut out back. Va-va-voom! Eva could not have picked a better dress for herself.
6) Sofia Vergara: Her scarlet coloured Vera Wang really showed off all her curves. Slim in the right places and then flows out to create a great silhouette. Nice detailing especially the black bow in the back. It also served the purpose of accentuating her small waist. Plus the corset up the back made it a little naughty. Everyone who looked at her felt like a 14-year-old boy seeing a hot woman.
7) Lea Michele: A ruffled pink dress by Oscar de la Renta. One shoulder dress with cascading ruffles. A bit pale of a colour but the fit is beautiful. Pair of Christian Louboutin heels and a Judith Leiber bag.
8) Anne Hathaway: Wow! Those were some Dynasty inspired shoulders! Her amber toned Armani Prive was all glittery (Swarovski crystals) and Old Hollywood. Long sleeves and length. All covered up and then she turned around to show the backless feature and once again I was interested.
9) Chris Hemsworth: Yay for the boys! He looked very nice in his Giorgio Armani two-button shawl collar tux. Great fit!
10) Johnny Depp: Wore something that was true to his style. Ralph Lauren Black Label tux. Love the no tie and vest underneath. Being Johnny he added a chain to his belt loops and a buckle on his shoes. Pure Depp!