The second big awards night of the season has come and gone. The Screen Actors Guild Awards salutes the greatest performances on screen and television. This is purely for the actors. Pretty prestigious stuff to be given an acting award by your peers. I thought that until I saw that the SAG president was Ken Howard. Really? The White Shadow guy? Maybe not so prestigious.
Anyways, it is another night to look at the fashion on the stage, audience and red carpet. Helena Bonham Carter (with her usual quirky fashion sense but at least her shoes matched at this one) stated that, “I’m meant to act well. Not dress well.” Thankfully every star does not think that way and they actually put some thought into what they are wearing.
Here is my list in no particular order of the best dressed actors at last night’s SAG Awards:
1) Mila Kunis: The hands down fashion queen of the evening. Kunis took my breath away as soon as she walked onto the red carpet. She was stunning in a delicate and intricate Alexander McQueen. It was floral, red and flowy. Several dresses had belts on them but Mila’s was one of the few where it worked. From the way it looked and moved you could not miss her on the red carpet. Plus she stated that it was probably the most comfortable dress she’s ever worn. Who could ask for anything more? The Cartier tiger bracelet was a nice touch. Spot on make-up and wavy locks topped off the look.
2) Lea Michele: A best dressed list staple lately. But went with something a little different for her this time out. Was very sexy in a floor length Oscar de la Renta. The sleek metallic gown featured another waist-cinching gold belt. With a plunging neckline, her always great skin, hair, make-up and beautiful jewelry from Tiffany it all added up to another winner. Effortless.
3) Justin Timberlake: It was his birthday (well, almost! His birthday is January 31st). He is another habitual best dressed lister. Very sharp in his tailored, two button, peak lapel Simon Spurr tuxedo. Understands that the little accents make a huge difference. Had two white stripes on his black tie.
4) Natalie Portman: The SAGs were a much better fashion evening for Natalie than the Globes were. This time she was in all white other than the silver detailing along the top. Her column fitting Azzaro was form fitting which was refreshing as she was not trying to hide her baby bump. She was also wearing $2 million dollars worth of Tiffany jewelry on her ears and wrist. Making good fashion look effortless.
5) Julia Stiles: Wearing a blue ombre Monique l’Hullier dress, I’m sure she was overlooked by many as she was not a nominee but in her little screen time Stiles still caught my eye. The contrast of the midnight blue with the brilliant white was stunning. Simple but killer. The cut was simple but the colour was bold. Perfectly accessorized with vintage jewels and curled hair.
6) Hailee Steinfeld: Hailee was the breakout fashion star because she took a risk and came out on top. This longer version of the much talked about piece from the Prada 2011 spring collection was totally age appropriate for the 14-year-old actress from the film True Grit. The dress is an eye catching pink, orange and black horizontal striped affair.
7) Sofia Verara: I’m beginning to think that with a body like hers that no matter what she wears will land her on the best dressed list. This time she went with a bright cobalt blue Roberto Cavalli that really showed off her curves. It also featured plenty of plunge in the front.
8) Tina Fey: Now this is a new occurrence! Who saw this coming? The funny lady making a best dressed list. Why not?! She stepped away from her usual go to black dress for something different and it worked. Her red lace Oscar de la Renta gown had my jaw hanging open. The bodice was embellished with flowers. Her Louboutin clutch and Lorraine Schwartz jewels were perfect.
9) Hilary Swank: Wore a floor length, peach, one shouldered Versace with embellishments along the strap and side. Hair was down in loose curls and matched it up with nude lip colour.
10) Andrew Garfield: From The Social Network he was an Outstanding Performance by a Cast nominee and recently named as the latest Spider-Man. His year is going well so far! This continued onto the red carpet as he was wearing Burberry and looked very dashing.