Historical dramas are tricky. Some expect you to be accurate in every respect while others just want to be entertained. Hitting the middle mark between the two demands is what series writer Michael Hirst, who has demonstrated his grasp of period pieces previously as he was involved in the television series The Tudors as well as the excellent film, Elizabeth.
Vikings have always been ripe for small or big screen presentation as they have the reputation of being lusty and blood thirsty. If you are into it, those two things show up well on screen. This series does not disappoint on either hand hence the reason why they have had success. There is always a raid or battle about to be undertaken allowing for the build-up and then some active action sequences. Hirst has not allowed the series to stagnate at all by evolving his characters, not going back to the same well time and time again and making the story grow with each episode and season.
In essence this is a tale of family, loyalty, courage, danger, betrayal, exploration, and war. This season Ragnar (played by Travis Fimmel) still has the itch to explore and take over new lands so he leads his people on some raids. While trying to use England as their home base. Which is not going to be easy if the English have anything to say about it.
Canadians should feel some sense of extra pride in the series as it is a Canadian/Irish co-production.
- Blu-ray Exclusive – The Guide to the Gods – An interactive exploration of the various Gods in Nordic mythological lore, which include: Odin, Thor, Loki, Frigg, Baldr, Hel, Freyja, Freyr and Njordr.
- Blu-ray Exclusive – Extended Versions of All Episodes
- Athelstan’s Journal (Parts 1 and 2) – Provides insight into the character of “Athelstan,” as he seeks answers about his direction in life and seeking the honorable path.
- Heavy is the Head: The Politics of King Ragnar’s Rule
- A City Under Siege: Creating and Attacking Paris
- Audio Commentary on “Born Again” and “Breaking Point” featuring Michael Hirst and Linus Roache (EXTENDED)
- Deleted Scenes