Seventies teen slasher films here we come. After “Scream” many in Hollywood wanted to take advantage of the market for beautiful and hunky teens appearing in horror films, so a slew of them came out. Some better than others.
Students at the New England university Pendleton are beginning to be killed off like flies. There is a serial killer hunting them down and taking them out. The truly creepy aspect is that he is killing them by recreating some of the wild urban legends that have circulated for years. The only link to the killings is that Natalie (Alicia Witt – 88 Minutes, The Upside of Anger), a girl with a past, has witnessed them all. The only one who gets close to nabbing the killer is campus journalist Paul (Jared Leto – Alexander, Panic Room) as he and Natalie discover that their school has a history of murder. Twenty-five years ago a deranged professor killed many students in a rampage of mayhem and blood. Several fraternities are planning celebratory parties on the anniversary of the murders when Natalie discovers that she is the real target of the crazed killer.
The film is certainly not up to par with “Scream”, but it is entertaining in parts. As with most recent horror films there are plenty of holes in the story or silly moments, but at this point does anyone really expect anything else? What is really annoying about the film is how it reuses almost every horror cliché known to man. At a certain point you might be begging for mercy. If you can look beyond this then you might get some entertainment value out of it.
- NEW audio commentary with director Jamie Blanks, producer Michael McDonnell, assistant Edgar Pablos, moderated by author Peter M. Bracke
- Audio Commentary with director Jamie Blanks, writer Silvio Horta and actor Michael Rosenbaum
- Theatrical Trailer
- NEW Urban Legacy – an eight-part documentary on the making of URBAN LEGEND (147 minutes)
- NEW Behind-the-Scenes footage
- NEW Extended interviews from the eight-part documentary
- Archival Making of Featurette
- Gag Reel
- Deleted Scene
- TV Spots