From Writer / Showrunner / Executive Producer Rebecca Sonnenshine
Executive Produced by James Wan’s Atomic Monster and
Directed by Rebecca Thomas
- Netflix today announced a series order for Archive 81, an original story loosely inspired by the popular found footage horror podcast.
- Logline: When archivist Dan Turner (Athie) takes a mysterious job restoring a collection of damaged videotapes from 1994, he finds himself reconstructing the work of documentary filmmaker Melody Pendras (Shihabi) and her investigation into a dangerous cult. As Dan is drawn into Melody’s story, he becomes convinced he can save her from the terrifying end she met 25 years ago.
- Cast (additional cast to be announced):
- Mamoudou Athie (Jurassic World: Dominion; Uncorked; Oh Jerome, No) will play Dan Turner.
- Dina Shihabi (Ya Bint, Altered Carbon, Ramy, Jack Ryan) is Melody Pendras.
- Format: Drama; 8 x 1-hour episodes
- Writer/Showrunner/Executive Producer: Rebecca Sonnenshine (The Boys, The Vampire Diaries)
- Director/Executive Producer: Rebecca Thomas (Stranger Things, Limetown) serves as Executive Producer. She will direct half of the season, including the first episode.
- Executive Producers: James Wan’s Atomic Monster (MacGyver; The Conjuring Universe film franchise; and the upcoming Malignant and There’s Someone Inside Your House) — James Wan and Michael Clear are Executive Producers; Rob Hackett is a Co-Executive Producer.
- Writer/Executive Producer: Paul Harris Boardman (The Exorcism of Emily Rose, Deliver Us From Evil) developed the original script.
- The original Archive 81 podcast was created by Marc Sollinger and Daniel Powell who serve as co-producers on the series.
- Rebecca Sonnenshine quote:
“With Archive 81, we’re hoping to give the supernatural horror genre a new twist — while keeping a dark, deeply emotional romance as its core. Alongside the talented Mamoudou Athie and Dina Shihabi, and visionary partners Atomic Monster and Rebecca Thomas, I’m excited to take Netflix viewers on a terrifying and visually thrilling adventure.”