It is Halloween and the skies are rainy and grey, so a perfect setting for watching a couple of haunt-filled television series – pop some popcorn and pop in these two blu-ray now available in one collection – The Haunting of Hill House and The Haunting of Bly Manor. Both are based on novels/novellas – Shirley Jackson’s acclaimed horror novel and the Henry James novella – The Turn of the Screw.
The Haunting of Hill House directed by Mike Flanagan:
Originally came out in 2018 this television series featuring acting turns by Carla Gugino, Henry Thomas, Timothy Hutton, Elizabeth Reaser, and Annabeth Gish and 10 episodes.
Based on a rather simple story involving a family or more succinctly, siblings who when they were children grew up in a house which went on to be acknowledged as the most haunted house in the United States.
You know what you are in for just by the titles of the episodes. Titles like Steven Sees a Ghost, Open Casket, The Bent-Neck Lady, and Screaming Meemies. Each of the episodes is made to scare the bejesus out of you. While watching you will alternate between tension, shivers and a couple of jumps.
It is a simple concept yet so effective. We move between the past and the present as the siblings remember their house and why they fled from it.
The Haunting of Bly Manor directed by Mike Flanagan:
Aired in 2020, this television series, while not as good as The Haunting of Hill House, was still very watchable. Sprung from the mind of Mike Flanagan, the same man responsible for Hill House, this is another scary one. Henry Thomas and Carla Gugino are also back for this second kick at the horror can.
Strange things are happening at the Bly Manor. A man needs someone to look after his niece and nephew so he decides to hire a young governess. Once she arrives at Bly Manor, the family estate, odd things begin to happen. Soon after the horrible history of the family begins to be found out.
The build up is slow here. Like most ghost/haunting stories. It needs to reel you in until it has you exactly where it needs you. Then whamo! The creepy stuff begins to happen and you are in the right state of mind to be creeped out. It will not only have the hairs on the back of your neck standing up but will also have you checking in the closets and under the bed as you go to sleep. Just to be sure…
- Home for the Haunted: The Ghosts of Bly Manor
- Welcome to Bly Manor
- Audio Commentary by Director/Creator Mike Flanagan
- Audio Commentary by Director Liam Gavin
- Audio Commentary by Director Axelle Carolyn
- Steven Sees a Ghost Extended Director’s Cut
- Steven Sees a Ghost Extended Director’s Cut Commentary by Director Mike Flanagan
- The Bent-Neck Lady Extended Director’s Cut
- The Bent-Neck Lady Extended Director’s Cut Commentary by Director Mike Flanagan
- Two Storms Commentary by Director Mike Flanagan
- Silence Lay Steadily Extended Director’s Cut
- Silence Lay Steadily Extended Director’s Cut Commentary by Director Mike Flanagan